ParaEq MKII Deluxe
ParaEq MKII Deluxe
The ParaEq MKII and ParaEq Deluxe bring back one of Empress’ most beloved pedal designs with exciting new features. The original ParaEq, released in 2010, steadily grew in reputation for its visceral tone-shaping, extreme transparency, and intuitive controls, rivalled only by studio-grade equipment. After being discontinued in 2020, we’ve watched used ParaEq prices on sites like reverb.com skyrocket, and it solidified our belief of the importance of highly controllable EQ adjustments with studio quality sound.
With the reintroduction of the ParaEq, we’ve kept everything people loved about the original, but we took it to the next level. We’ve enhanced the already amazing audio path purity with lower noise circuitry and a huge 27V of headroom. We’ve also managed to squeeze it all into a pedalboard friendly footprint with top-mounted jacks for maximum convenience.
3 bands of parametric EQ, each with fully adjustable Q width knobs for perfectly detailed EQ curves, give you an extremely flexible EQ. Setting the Q wide is great for general tone shaping and is extremely transparent. A medium Q setting is perfect for everyday problem solving like pulling out boxiness from the low mids to reduce harshness and adding a bit in the upper mids. Setting the Q to narrow excels at notching out problem frequencies and is a saviour for acoustic guitarists when combating feedback issues. The ParaEq Deluxe also includes gorgeous sounding baxandall high and low shelving filters for even more added control and 12/dB/oct high and low pass filters for maximum signal cleanup, leading to the most fully featured guitar pedal EQ available.
The Boost section offers +30dB of clean boost and can be set to engage with the EQ section to act as a make-up gain when doing subtractive EQ, or can be used completely separately as a pure clean boost. Great for bumping up your volume for solos, or hitting the front end of a tube amp for a bit more break-up.
The signal path of the ParaEq MKII and ParaEq Deluxe consists of the highest quality components chosen to deliver a perfectly organic tone. The transparent and sweet sounding EQ enhances your sound without masking the pure tone of your instrument, whether it be guitar, bass, synthesizer, or the human voice. We’ve increased the headroom significantly up to 27V internally, meaning it’ll be a real challenge to make this thing clip. Did we mention it’s noise free? We measured the distortion to be less than 0.05%, resulting in a pristine sound. True bypass means you’ll never worry if your tone has been sucked dry. Advanced configurations allow for buffered bypass, independence between EQ and boost controls, and startup state configurability. Top-mounted jacks mean the pedal can be patched up into your pedalboard as cleanly as it sounds and occupy a fraction of the space compared to our old enclosures.
- All-Analog Signal Path – to deliver the most organic tone possible.
- Ultra Transparent Sweet Sounding EQ – enhance your sound without masking the tone of your instrument.
- Lots of Control – with adjustable/ switchable q, fully overlapping sweepable frequency selection, and 15dB of cut and boost you’ll get all the control you need.
- Ultra-Quiet – You’ve come to expect our pedals to be noise free and we’ve delivered once again. If you put this at the front of your chain and boost a bit you’ll also cut down on the noise your other pedals are introducing.
- Loads of Headroom – Operates internally from a 27V power supply – similar to rack-mount equipment.
- +30dB of Boost – making it an ideal candidate before long effects chains and overdriving tube amps.
- Pristine Clean Sound – We measured the distortion to be less than 0.05%. Pretty remarkable for a guitar pedal.
- True Bypass – The Empress ParaEq MKIIl employs true bypass, so you can be sure that it's not affecting the signal when disengaged.
- Perfect Size - The enclosure with controls measures approximately 2.5” x 4.8” x 2.6”, which is delightfully small when considering all the features packed into this unit.
- Top Mounted Jacks - Extra convenient to integrate .